Thursday, October 25, 2012

{day 25} a gift of the most generous kind...


Seven years ago today, my Diddy {my whole family, really} was given a gift of the most generous kind.

Despite the pain the gift giver had endured in the months leading up to her gift, she gave with a generous and willing and loving heart.  Never a question.  Never a doubt.  Just the peace that she was doing what God would have her do.

The gift giver is a dear family friend.  She had walked through some hard times.  And yet, she never once lost sight of the One who was walking with her.  She didn't question His call on her life.  She gave.  And she did it with a happy heart and joyful spirit.

And so, my family has been blessed with seven more years.  Seven more years to enjoy life and moments with my Diddy.  Seven more years to make memories together.  Seven more years to love each other unconditionally.  Seven more years to try to give as generously as we were given. 

In that time, my sister had another little girl.  I got married.  I had a baby girl.  My mama retired. My Diddy's oldest sister moved home.  Cousins have gotten married and had babies.  Life has happened. 

I spent the better portion of my day reflecting on generosity.  Not necessarily gift giving.  But the attitude behind the giving. 

You see, I love to give to people.  Not only gifts {surcies, if you will}.  But my time.  An ear to listen.  A shoulder to cry on.  A tear shed.  A laugh chuckled.  A helping hand.  A lending hand.  Bended knees and heartfelt prayers. 

As much as others pour into my life, I want to equally and immeasurably pour out into the lives around me. 

Days like I've had this week find the selfish part of me wrapped up in my own mind.  My own struggles.  My own worries. 

And the more I focus on myself, the sicker I feel. 

When I empty myself of me, I find myself filling up on the One who satisfies.  The One who gave me {and you} a gift of the most generous kind.  He gave us His life in exchange for ours. 

Similar to our family friend who gave a portion of herself so my family could have life, He gave up His whole life so that we may live eternally. 

I am overcome with gratitude.  For our family friend who gave so generously.  And for my Savior who chose me to live and walk with Him forever. 

Has a gift ever changed your life?

'You will be enriched in every way so that you can be
generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity
 will result in thanksgiving to God.'
2 Corinthians 9:11



For more on the beauty of transparency, come on over to my house and check out the rest of this 31 day series...

No comments:

Post a Comment