Sunday, October 7, 2012

{day 6} thoughts from the tailgate...


Sometimes transparency causes you to open a can a worms.  I causes you to lose friends and possibly make some some enemies. 

I'm sure these latest thoughts will not win me any popularity points.  But I'm okay with that.

My family and I traveled back to Clemson yesterday for the football game.  And we had a great time.  Tailgating was enjoyable.  We prayed before the meal and enjoyed each other's company. 

It was a lot different from the tailgating I was used to do.  Different and so much better.  More enjoyable.  More relaxing.  Just more.  And everything I was hoping it would be



But as I walked to the game, pushing my daughter in her stroller, I kept thinking of all the things I want my daughter to do differently than me.

I don't want her to think that tailgating and football games are for drinking as much as you can reasonably consume before kickoff.  I saw way too many cute girls {and boys} stumbling their way to the stadium.
 
'Don’t be drunk with wine, because that will ruin your life.
Instead, be filled with the Holy Spirit,'
Ephesians 5:18 (NLT)

I don't want her to think that using foul language is cool.  I heard too many filthy words coming out of mouths much too pretty. 

'Don’t use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful,
so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them.'
Ephesians 4:29 (NLT)

I don't want her to wear clothes that bare too much of her body.  I saw a little more skin than I should have yesterday.

'And I want women to be modest in their appearance.
They should wear decent and appropriate clothing
and not draw attention to themselves by the way they fix their hair
or by wearing gold or pearls or expensive clothes.'
1 Timothy 2:9 (NLT)


I don't want her to think it is acceptable to get angry over the score of the game or a referee call.  Games are meant for fun; they are not to be taken seriously.

'Human anger does not produce the righteousness God desires.'
James 1:20 (NLT)

As I saw the beer and wine and foul language pouring way too freely yesterday, I traveled back to the person I was.  The person who used to enjoy the same.  I lifted up my praises and thanksgiving for the person I am today.  A person who was transformed by Grace.

And then, I grabbed my sweet girl by the chin, looked directly in her beautiful blue eyes, and pour some encouragement and Truth into her, all while we enjoyed an orange Hawaiian Ice. 


Check out more of this 31 day series:

Day 1.

Day 2.

Day 3.

Day 4.

Day 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment