Tuesday, July 9, 2013

through the laughter, i fell in love all over again...

has something ever tickled your funny bone so hard that you could feel the laughter bubbling up from your toes?  erupting into a guffaw uncontrollable?

it happened to me in the wee hours of the morning today.

in a Tylenol cold and sinus stupor, i heard my girl cry out for me.  in what i thought was 4:42am, i scooped her up and put her in my bed; already dreading the sound of the rooster in a mere 48 minutes.  then, just as i was getting comfortable and felt myself falling weightlessly back into that marvelous medicine-induced sleep a certain dog {who will remain nameless} began barking incessantly. 

i may or may not have dramatically thrown the covers backed, stomped down the hallway, and flung open the door to the deck.  as our furry companion came bounding up the deck, wagging her tail as if it were time to play, i glanced at the clock on the microwave and realized it was only 1:53am.  i opened the storm door to allow this beast to snooze in the kitchen until the sun came up.  along with the beast came some mammoth pre-historic creature {read: cock roach}.  i vaguely remember a shrill.  i suppose it was me. 

within seconds, a wiffle-bat wielding warrior appeared to my rescue. 

it was in that moment i said, 'can you kill the cock roach?  i'm going back to bed.'

again, as i snuggled down cozy and warm, i felt something start in my toes and erupt boisterously and uncontrollably until the entire bed was shaking. 

my hero.  with a wiffle-bat.  coming to rescue me.

i think i heard him say, 'next time, i'll just let the murderer take you with them.'

it was hard to hear over the laughter. 

throughout the day, i could feel it bubbling just beneath the surface.  until it would erupt at the most inappropriate times.  like when i was in the rest room.  or at the stop light.  or when i nearly choked on my lunch recounting the story to my co-workers.

i realize love knows no limits when it comes to protecting those dearest to your heart.  that man of mine loves me most.  and he set out to protect me last night.  i love him more because of it.  and i love him most for laughing with me at the days to come.

he will yet fill your mouth with laughter,
and your lips with gladness.
job 8:21


days are hard and times have been tough.  but moments like last night are mere glimpses from heaven.  moments when i feel God reach down and hand me a priceless gift.  the gift of not taking life so seriously.  the gift of remembering that He not only grieves with us, but He also laughs with us. 

finding the pure joy in the simple moments makes the hard days more bearable.  and laughing relieves the pent up tension of worry and anxiety. 

laughter is the sound of the soul dancing. my soul probably looks like fred astaire.
jarod kintz


when was the last time you laughed until your sides split and tears overflowed?  count it as joy, my friends.  those are the moments given to us by the Giver of all good gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment